Photos

My village has a huge hill that plummets to a seasonal stream and then climbs up a bit more. This is about half way up the larger hill looking over the village. Unfortunately I don't have a good filter to bring out just how beautiful this cloud was; a giant storm racing over the mountain.

My buddy Musa showed me a nice swimming hole. I'm teaching him to swim. I took a photo of him trying, but I can't publish it because it sort of looks like he's drowning. And he wasn't.

Look at the corn stalks. The tree branches don't quite do justice to the strength of the wind in this gust front. It flattened half the corn fields in the village.

I work with Sidiki to reforest. This is his rice field.

And this is what's behind his rice field. Gorgeous.

This car is loaded down with fire wood. This is a small load compared to what a lot of cars carry. I just happened to have only taken this photo.

Remember that photo of the gust front and the corn? Nyari hid under a chair in my hut.

Cat prison: a rope tied to a zip line. Why? The neighbors want his blood because he's a dirty, rotten thief. Stole chicken eggs, fish, meat... At least the other half of the neighbors liked him because he ate their mice. Nonetheless, he's in prison now. There was an unrelated incident where some kid told me he was going to eat my cat. He backed off when I told him I would eat his legs and arms, one per week until he ran out. You never know what a crazy American is liable to do.

A while back I went down to Gbangbadou to help Jess set up a Moringa plantation at her health center. This is what it looked like the next time I passed through: the start of success.

This is a view from a bush trail. The rainy season is so much better than the dry season. Everything's alive, including the cows.

The evening few from my bathroom. Ah the rainy season is heaven.

1 comment:

Alison said...

Your pictures are beautiful. It amazing how different the landscape there is from our cold, snowy October here in Alaska!